Grosse Pointe Divorce and Family Law Attorneys

Family Law Services – Wayne, Oakland and Macomb County

Where We Practice

The attorneys at Grosse Pointe Law Center offer all family law services to clients throughout the metro-Detroit area, including Wayne, Oakland and Macomb County.

Types of Cases

Divorce is the most common family law case.  Even after the divorce case is over, disagreements about parenting time, child custody, change of schools, change of domicile, child support or other Friend of the Court issues come up.  We can help with all of that and more.

Our full-service firm offers the following family law services:

Getting Started with an attorney at Grosse Pointe Law Center

We offer a free half-hour strategy session to all potential clients looking for guidance in family law cases that have already been filed.  We know that with a case in process, you need to speak to an attorney quickly. We try to get you in as soon as possible, often the same day.  We offer the same complimentary strategy session to people who have not yet filed and want to get more information before doing so.   We can explain our family law services and provide insight by phone or in person – whichever you prefer.

CLICK HERE OR CALL to schedule your consultation.  Evening and weekend appointments available for your convenience.

The divorce and family law attorneys of Grosse Pointe Law Center serve clients in Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe City, Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Woods, St. Clair Shores, Detroit, Dearborn, Royal Oak, Sterling Heights, Southfield, Troy, Macomb, Livonia, Wayne County, Washtenaw County, Monroe County, Macomb County and Oakland County, Michigan.


Family Law Appeals

Family law appeals are complicated.  You have the right to appeal some family law orders or divorce and other judgments, but there are restrictions and time is of the essence.  If you’re appealing from the circuit court (also called trial court), your case would go to the Michigan Court of Appeals (website The clock starts

Property Division

Except for very rare circumstances, the property division in a divorce judgment is final.  Before you agree to a property division in your divorce case, you’ll need to make sure everything is right before you file anything with the court.  If you don’t, it could create huge problems (and expenses) in the future. Typically, it doesn’t matter whose

Change of Schools

Change of schools for your child is a big decision.  If you and your ex have joint legal custody, you need to agree on important issues for your kids like where they go to school, what kind of medical treatment they receive and whether and when they practice a particular religion. If you and your

Amending or Changing Prior Court Orders

After you think your case is final, there may be some issues that come up that require you to go back to court. Even if you and your ex agree on the change, you should let the Court know about the change by filing  a “Stipulated Order” amending the prior Judgment or Order.   This prevents

Mediation or Arbitration

Some people go to a mediator before filing their family law case in efforts to come to a quick and affordable resolution of the issues.  Usually, though, a judge refers cases to mediation after a complaint has been filed and the parties indicate there are some disagreements on how to resolve the issues. A mediator

Domestic Violence & Personal Protection Orders

Domestic violence is a reality in far too many relationships.  If there’s been domestic violence in your relationship, it’s necessary to tell your attorney about the history.  It’s a factor that the court’s use when determining custody and parenting time.  It’s also a factor that the court can use to determine whether one party is

Separate Maintenance

In Michigan, you can be “separated” instead of divorced.  The term has a different legal meaning, though, then it does in everyday conversations. In most ways, a separate maintenance action is the same as a divorce action.  It results in a final division of property.  If necessary, it includes a custody arrangement, child support, spousal


If you’re contemplating a divorce, it’s best to consult with an attorney.  He or she can explain the typical process in Michigan and the county in which you live and flesh out the specific issues that will likely come up in your case. The vast majority of divorce cases settle at some point before trial.

Spousal Support / Alimony

Unlike child support, there is no set formula that courts use to award spousal support or alimony.  Michigan cases outline the factors that courts should consider in awarding spousal support and attorneys are left to advocate how certain factors weigh in their client’s favor. If you think spousal support or alimony should be or is

Collaborative Law

Collaborative law is an emerging area of family law.  The philosophy of collaborative law is that working amicably with your ex whenever possible often leads to a better result for you and your family.  If you choose the collaborative route, your attorney will work with and not against your ex’s attorney to come up with a creative solution that best serves

Friend of the Court

In Michigan, the Friend of the Court makes initial decisions regarding custody, child support, parenting time or visitation and sometimes spousal support. The Michigan Supreme Court has created a Friend of the Court Handbook that outlines what the Friend of the Court does and doesn’t do. Each county court also has its own friend of the Court

Child Support

Child support in Michigan is determined by applying a set formula.  Usually, the court or friend of the court collects information like parties’ incomes, insurance expenses, day care expenses, and number of overnights with each parent and uses a child support calculator or computer program (a prognosticator) to create a Uniform Child Support Order.  

Post-Judgment Issues

After a divorce or action for separate maintenance is final, several issues that require additional litigation may develop (see “services” for a more thorough discussion of Friend of the Court issues like custody, child support, parenting time and changing the children’s home or school).  Some of the most common are: failure to follow the terms

Pre and Post Nuptial Agreements

Often called “prenups,” couples planning to marry are using prenuptial agreements more than ever to outline how assets and debt get divided if the marriage doesn’t work out. While some view this approach as fatalistic, the reality is that many marriages do end in divorce.  It’s often cheaper and easier to decide how you would want

Domestic Partnerships and Same Sex Marriage

The fastest-changing area of family law is by far domestic partnerships and the recognition of same sex marriage.  We’re following these cases in the courts carefully and prepared to explain how these cases affect your rights.

Change of Domicile

After your family law case has been established, you can’t move your child or children out of Michigan or 100 miles from your current home without agreement from your ex or court approval. If your ex won’t agree, you need to file a Motion with the court before you move and have the burden of showing how the move would benefit

Independent Legal Advice or Limited Scope Representation

Not everyone can afford to hire an attorney.  Our family law attorneys offer the option of limited scope representation, which allows you to use our services only where you think you need it.  We generally charges hourly rates for the following types of unbundled legal services: Consultations: Before you decide how to proceed with your case,

Child Custody & Visitation

Your Time With Your Child At the Grosse Pointe Law Center, we understand how important it is to protect your time with your child or children.  Navigating the Friend of the Court without an attorney is often frustrating and exhausting.  Let our experienced attorneys navigate the system for you.  We’ll use that knowledge of child

Contact Us Today

Reduce anxiety about your family law and divorce decisions by talking to a lawyer at the Grosse Pointe Law Center today.

Phone: 313-331-2282